Colorado Gives Day
Back when Will and I lived in Costa Rica, we visited Tortuguero National Park and the Sea Turtle Conservancy. That year, we gave each of our parents an "adopted turtle" as a Christmas present. It seemed the perfect gift for people who already have everything and who care about the earth and the creatures in it. Since then, we have given such gifts many times over, always trying to find an organization that is somehow relevant to what is going on in our lives at the time. These days we do not have to look far to find such organizations. The past nineteen months have brought many wonderful non-profit organizations into our lives and each one has impacted our family in a positive way.
Anchor Center for Blind Children - Anya's school for the past year. I wrote about it here and here.
The Children's Museum of Denver - Not only is this one of our favorite places to play and learn, they also sponsored the best party ever. You can see pictures of it here.
Gabby Krause Foundation - After Anya's first day of chemotherapy, she received a penguin shaped suitcase overflowing with toys. The crafts, toys, and portable DVD player that she received from this organization helped to make many hospital days more bearable, and that penguin suitcase goes to the hospital with us every single time.
Stinkbug Project - This is how Avery came into our lives. If you click on Stink Bug Families, you will see a picture of Anya the day she took Avery home. Notice how she wore her dog shirt to make sure Avery would like her.
Children's Hospital Colorado - A place I never wanted to go to, but I now know well. The staff is incredible and has eased this journey for all four of us.
Make-a-Wish Colorado - granted Anya's wish to visit her cousins in San Diego. I wrote about that here, here, and here.
All of these organizations are taking part in Colorado Gives Day. The day is December 6, and from 12 am to 12 pm on that day, you can donate to hundreds of non-profits in Colorado and all credit card fees are waived. In addition to that, there are various incentives so that organizations can earn matching funds. If you feel inspired to give this time of year, as so often happens, this is a wonderful way to make your donation go even further. I take the time to write all this here not so you feel pressure to donate, but rather to show you all the ways that we have been helped. If you are searching for a non-profit to give to, I can assure you that all of these are worthy.


1 Comments:
Thanks Liz- that's a great reminder. I'm going to be gifting some donations to Stinkbug to my dog loving friends. MIss you!! XXOO Mosh
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home