San Diego bound
On Thursday, we will be headed to San Diego for Anya's Make-a-Wish trip. She was referred to Make-a-Wish soon after we learned that she lost vision in her right eye. If you are not already familiar with the organization, they grant wishes to children with life-threatening illnesses. That is the part that is a bit hard to swallow for me. Thankfully, we are in the clear of the life-threatening part, and so it is time to be thankful for all the wonderful organizations that help kids like Anya.
Back in the fall, a Make-a-Wish volunteer came to our house to hear Anya's wish. Leading up to that visit, we had been explaining to her that she could wish to go almost anywhere, or meet someone famous, or do something outrageous. We didn't want it to be our wish, but hers (although I did throw out the idea of eating sushi in Japan). We also talked about meeting the princess of Sweden, who Anya was pretty infatuated with after seeing her wedding photos last summer. In the end, she came up with her wish all on her own. After visiting with the Make-a-Wish volunteer for about half and hour, Anya declared, "I am ready to make my wish now. I wish to go to visit my cousins in San Diego and Oregon." Just hearing her choose to visit family over any famous person in the world made me feel like we have done a few things right in raising her.
Make-a-Wish does some pretty spectacular trips, but two destinations are not possible. San Diego was the winner because we have family both on my side and Will's side. On top of all the travel expenses, Make-a-Wish gave us tickets to the San Diego Zoo and Sea World. You can bet there will be some giraffes seen on this trip, and I hope that Sea World has a walrus to fulfill Reese's most recent obsession. (Honestly, how can a 17 month old get so fixated on Walruses?) There will also be boatloads of pictures, I am sure. We'll try not to disappoint, as I am sure this trip will not.





11 Comments:
I hope you guys have a blast! Tell Anya I love her "giraffe tails"- she'll fit right in with the 'raffes at the zoo :-)
"a few things right in raising her?" I think it's more than a few! You two are amazing, and those kids are downright awesome. Enjoy yourselves.
Have an amazing time! You guys really deserve this and I hope it is a fantastic trip! How about a great end to a great trip...let's get together and play when you return! I would also love to hear about how you got involved in the wish process! Safe and fun travels! xoxo
Even more piggy tails to love! Have a great time and enjoy the family time and the warm weather!
Have a great trip ladies and make sure Will is on his best behavior!!!
Yeah!!!! I'm sure you guys will have a wonderful time. I hope the trip is full of laughter and smiles all around!
yes, more than a little right. Your girls are lovely and it sounds like she already knows what counts in life! I'm sure you're all going to have a blast! xxo.
awwww, that brought big tears to my eyes that she chose to go see her cousins. That is one special Anay you have there. I hope you are having an amazing time! xoxoxo
I hope that you had an amazing trip! We can't wait to hear all about it!
It was awesome to spend time with you all!
what a great set of pics! sorry i have not been in touch for awhile. So happy for you all that this trip was so great! hope to see you soon. -Amanda and Leo
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home