Monday, November 28, 2011

Exam day

I learned a lesson today.  I learned that I need to give my kids opportunities to excel.  The opportunity that Reese had today may not have been what I would have chosen for her, but necessity is how she ended up in a situation I thought was beyond her.  She had her first in-office exam with the eye doctor in over a year.  The last time we tried, she was beyond squirmy and uncooperative, which earned her two trips to the hospital for exams under anesthesia.  Today, she did what I did not think she could do.  She sat in the chair (all by herself, just like her big sister), she talked to the doctor, and let him look in her dilated eyes with an obnoxiously bright light and magnifying lens.  She sat still for even more than that, and he was able to test her vision.  I am happy to report there are no tumors in her eyes, she does not need glasses, and she does not have to be seen again under anesthesia.  She excelled today and was as thrilled with herself as her parents were proud of her.  As she went to bed tonight, she was still explaining, "I do a good job today.  I was really good for Dr. O.  I'm so proud of me."

I have become accustomed to what a fabulous job Anya does in these circumstances, and she did not disappoint today.  The doctor was able to get a perfect view of her left eye and declare it is stable.  He also checked Anya's right eye and found that it continues to heal well, the conformer is, in fact, still in place, and - the best news of all for Anya - that she could go swimming.

Guess where this afternoon found us?  At a nearly empty pool, no less.  It made for one very happy, very tired family.

2 Comments:

Blogger birdfreak19 said...

Thats awesome about Reese she's so big a lot more than last time I saw her :)
-Emily

November 29, 2011 at 9:40 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Well done Reese!!!!

November 30, 2011 at 10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home