Monday, June 6, 2011

An invitation



It feels like summertime around here, and we have brought out one of our favorite hot-weather activities - bucket baths!  In addition to the buckets, the past week has been filled with many trips to the pool, skiing for Anya and Will, and camping.   These girls can't seem to get enough of the water and I am right there with them.  I think our swim bag will remain by the door and ready to go at all times this summer.  Give us some sunscreen, hats, and snacks, and we will be good for hours.

There is added reason why bottles of sunscreen can be found in nearly every bag in our house, our car, the stroller, and tucked away into corners.  Anya carries a predisposition to skin cancer now.  Since her retinoblastoma is a genetic mutation, she is more likely to have secondary cancers later in life, with melanoma being one of the top contenders.  I hope to convince her that suntanning is a complete waste of time and that sunscreen is a necessary accessory.

My invitation to you, then, is to do something good for yourself - use sunscreen.  Even better if you choose to be a good role model and apply it in front of my daughter.  If you are doing that, go ahead and put some on her.  It is always fine with me, this invitation will never expire.

2 Comments:

Blogger Grandma Katie said...

Good to know! I will be better about myself and those two little girls! Glad summer is rolling already in the Wieder household!

June 7, 2011 at 9:56 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

I need two buckets like that for my boys! What great fun!

I used to take baths in silver galvenized buckets when I was little in upper Michigan!

Thanks for all the "reminders" in life,,,,

Best wishes,
Tracy Heiman

June 9, 2011 at 9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home