Know the Glow
May 8 - May 15 is World Retinoblastoma Awareness week. The most common early sign of Retinoblastoma is leukocoria, or a white eye reflex. You can see this in the above pictures in Anya's left eye. In the first, she is 10 months old, then nearly two years, and the third was taken on her second birthday. I can only imagine how very different life would have been if we had known then what this was.
In truth, we have very few photos in which we can see the white eye, or cat's eye reflex in Anya, and trust me I have scoured them all. The ones I can find, only show leukocoria in her left eye, which I think is interesting because it was the smaller tumor. The tumor in her right eye was the one that we could see, which eventually led us to the optometrist. At the time of her diagnosis, it was located down near her nose, which made it only visible from a certain angle. Now that her retina is detached and somewhat floating in her eye, the calcified tumor is more noticeable. I see it at least once a week, and it gives me chills. Calcified or not, it is eerie to be able to see your child's tumor.Know the Glow is an effort that Daisy's Eye Cancer Fund is doing to promote Retinoblastoma awareness. Take flash photos of kids every now and then, look for the glow, make sure your pediatrician takes a good look at your kids' eyes at every well child exam starting at birth. If you see the glow in someone else's picture, please mention it to them. With early detection, kids' lives AND vision can be saved.




0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home