Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Colorado



There are so very many reasons why we love living in Colorado.  Our recent trip to the mountains with friends and family to go skiing is just one of them.  Anya enjoyed the skiing so much that she didn't want to stop for lunch and didn't take a nap.  She skied A L L day.

Since last May, I have had a new appreciation for being in Colorado.  A big part of that is being near to both my and Will's parents, who have provided endless amounts of support.  Then, there are the connections that seem to happen when you live near the place you grew up.  One of these came into play for Anya's party of all parties at the Children's museum.  It turns out that one of the executive members of the Children's museum was my boss back when I was a lifeguard (which feels like not one, but at least two lifetimes ago).  When Anya started at the Anchor Center, our first contact was with the best friend of my old softball coach.  We have made some friends whose daughter is also being treated for retinoblastoma, and it just so happens that the dad and Will went to the same high school.  I have even learned that a friend in my book club is related to Anya's ophthalmologist.  These links have all seemed like the "small world" phenomenon, but they have helped to put us at ease through some of the trials we have recently encountered.

The one connection that has put us most at ease has happened at Children's Hospital.  One of my good friends from college has a father who is an anesthesiologist at Children's.  He is a cardiac anesthesiologist, and not always able to be with our girls while they are under anesthesia, but when he is able, he has switched his schedule to accommodate us.  I cannot describe to you the relief I feel knowing that there are a set of familiar eyes looking out for Anya or Reese while they are sleeping.  He was with Reese the very first time she went under and he was with Anya for her surgery that was supposed to be two hours, but turned into over four.  Every time he is with us, we hear one of the nurses or even our ophthalmologist say, "Dr. F is the anesthesiologist today, your daughter is in very good hands.  He is one of our very best."

Anya seems to agree because the last few times we have played doctor at home, she often needs to "go consult with Dr. F."  And yes, those are her words, not mine.  We already know that Dr. F will not be with Anya this coming Friday as she goes for her March exam under anesthesia, as he will be visiting his daughter and grandkids.  It is an acceptable reason not to be at work.  We can only hope that we get another of the hospital's very best.

2 Comments:

Blogger Joanna said...

What a great post. Colorado is truly remarkable. If you live somewhere long enough, there are all sorts of connections that are weird at times. Ask Katie sometime about seeing me at the library where Will, Carrie and my daughter Lindsay were listening to story hour. I was new to Colorado and I think this was the first time that I connected with anyone in the state. We went to high school together and then we were together on the farm, feeding the pigs slop. Will and Carrie would come and ride our pony. It is so fun to see your kids and I must say I certainly think that I can see will in Anya and Reese.

March 27, 2011 at 3:00 PM  
Blogger kelly said...

Love seeing Anya on skis!!!! We skied all season this year (one more wknd to go) and I'm SO happy that my kids loved skiing!
I love Colorado too!

April 19, 2011 at 9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home