Monday, January 17, 2011

Boring


Sometimes I wonder if I should continue posting to this blog.  We are by no means done, yet things have settled, at least for now.  We have moved on from crisis mode, and it is my sincere wish that we don't enter into a new one, and so I wonder if our news has gotten boring to everyone else.  I don't mind it, actually.  Boring is something to aspire to now.

Today, though, we have reached an important milestone, and that is why I am here writing.  Today was the last day of Septra.  Septra is an antibiotic that Anya has had to take twice a day on the weekends since May 11.  People who are receiving chemotherapy can get pneumocystis pneumonia, which is potentially fatal.  The antibiotic ensured that she did not contract pneumocystis pneumonia.  It is, clearly, a compelling reason to take medicine, but there were moments in the nine months that were so very difficult.  Back in May, she didn't mind taking medicine, but quickly grew tired of it.  We would do all kinds of coaxing and bribing, but most times it felt like pulling teeth - four times every weekend.  We are all thankful to have that behind us.

The other important part is that Anya is now three months off of chemotherapy.  That means that her immune system should be back to where it was pre-chemotherapy.  In the midst of cold and flu season, I am glad that she is now one hundred percent armed and ready to fight off all those nasty little preschool germs.


5 Comments:

Blogger Grandma Katie said...

I still check your blog if not daily, then almost daily. You are such a good window into what is going on in the life of this precious little girl.

January 18, 2011 at 8:59 AM  
Blogger Grandma Katie said...

...and I am happy for boring!

January 18, 2011 at 9:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh please, Liz, continue your blog. I check it all the time and am relieved and happy to know that your in a boring period. I love hearing about what's going on in your life, the more mundane the better. Much love, Jere

January 18, 2011 at 1:18 PM  
Blogger kc said...

I've been checking your blog daily and almost obsessively for more updates. Boring news is the best news. Keep 'em coming, Liz. You are a fantastic writer, and you have an amazing little girl who's stories are greatly inspiring.

January 18, 2011 at 3:37 PM  
Blogger Molly Tyson said...

Me too. I hope you someday think about making this into a book. I think other folks could learn a lot from your beautiful writing. Plus, it's an incredible distraction from work. But all that being said, if it feels like it's time for you to let it go or it's become burdensome. I know everyone would understand. XXOO Mosh

January 21, 2011 at 5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home