Thursday, June 17, 2010

Brave in so many ways


At 5:30 tomorrow morning we will be heading back to Children's Hospital. This time we will be there for Anya's first eye exam since receiving chemotherapy. The main point of the exam is to see how the tumors are reacting to the chemo. As we get closer and closer to exam time, I find myself tensing and worrying more - they better be reacting. If they aren't, the whole game plan changes.
We have every reason to believe they are, though. First, because our eye doctor has claimed that in his experience, Retinoblastoma tumors always respond to chemotherapy. Secondly, Will and I can't see the tumor in her eye anymore. We never were able to see the tumor in her left eye, but in the days leading up to her diagnosis we both saw the tumor in her right eye frequently. I haven't seen it in weeks. Will had Anya sit still and he could see it, but it took some doing. We find that encouraging even though we aren't trained specialists.
As always, Anya is upbeat and brave about it all. When I told her we were going back to the hospital to the OR, her first response was excitement that we get to go to the good playroom. She prefers the playroom in the OR because they have a play house with a doorbell that really works. When I told her that the doctors would make her sleep again, she responded that she already knows what flavor she wants her mask to be - bubblegum. When I told her that she wouldn't be able to eat for eight hours before the exam, she said, "How about Chipotle for dinner tonight?" She could ask me for the moon right now and I would get it for her. Chipotle is easy.

2 Comments:

Blogger Marney Mayhem said...

Oh my, what a beautiful girl! Love you all!

June 17, 2010 at 2:15 PM  
Blogger Kirsta said...

oh my goodness, Anya- where in the world did that tarantula come from! You don't even look scared of it at all! Good luck tomorrow- ring the doorbell for me! :-)

June 17, 2010 at 4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home