Friday, May 28, 2010

Overwhelmed

I know I have said that I am overwhelmed before, but I have never felt it like tonight.

Anya started losing her hair two days ago. A couple large clumps came out, but mostly it was lots of strands. She still had lots of hair on her head. We talked to her about having a hair party, because she loves parties. The idea was for Will and anyone else who wanted to shave their heads in support of Anya. We also had balloons and ice cream and beer - what else do you need for a good party?

I was completely overwhelmed with the turnout tonight. We had friends and family over and many, many people shaved their heads - both Anya's grandpas, neighbors, a friend from school, and dear sweet friends male and female. I was on the edge of tears all evening because I was so touched. Anya loved getting to give Will a little haircut, so he was a little patchy for most of the evening.

After all the guests left, I went to put Reese to bed. I came back outside to find that Anya used the clippers on Will to finish his new look. She also decided that she wanted her head shaved.
Yes, she did.
So, I came outside to find my beautiful little girl bald.
And beaming.
She did somersaults in the grass and danced around she was so pleased.
And in the end, she was the one who chose when her hair would go. Anya is the one in charge around here, not retinoblastoma.

I am overwhelmed.

4 Comments:

Blogger Notablog said...

Yet again, I'm moved to tears by this one. Beautiful.

May 28, 2010 at 9:58 PM  
Blogger Kirsta said...

Liz, your overwhelmed-ness is completely valid. This is a LOT- too much, really- but you have been doing a terrific job so far, from what I can tell.
The hair party was a brilliant idea. For Anya to be that excited about such a potentially upsetting thing means she has the best parents she could possibly have in a situation like this.
Keep up the good work, you've got this (and on the days when you feel like you don't, you have all of us to help!)

Love you,
K.

May 29, 2010 at 9:06 AM  
Blogger Marney Mayhem said...

Go Anya! You are the girl!!!

May 29, 2010 at 2:20 PM  
Blogger TMKids said...

Your whole family is truly an inspiration. We are thinking of you and sending you love and peace every day.

-- Katie Taylor & family

June 10, 2010 at 7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home