Saturday, February 4, 2012

A small milestone

We had a bit of a celebration this week to mark the end of ointment.  When the surgeon first found the exposure in Anya's eye socket, he had us put ointment in her eye twice a day.  In the beginning, it was difficult to convince Anya to do this, that then changed to being okay to do it with a promised treat.  By the end, it became merely one more thing to do before going to bed and again after getting up in the morning.
If you have kids Anya's age, or have had them, I wonder if you might know the difficulties that can occur in getting to bed and then again in the morning getting ready to go somewhere.  Tasks like brushing teeth, combing hair, and putting on clothes can somehow become monumental and, not uncommonly, fits are thrown in protest.  Please someone tell me that our household is not alone in this.  So, when I say that ointment was merely one more thing to do, I do not say it lightly.
From December 12th until her most recent appointment on January 17th, she had ointment twice daily.  At that point, it decreased to once every other day.  We watched for signs of infection, but none ever came.  After two weeks of that, Anya is finally done with ointment (at least for the time being).  We went out to dinner to celebrate her patience, trust, and good health.

4 Comments:

Blogger kc said...

Liz, you are NOT alone in the "is this thing you do every night seriously going to be 'a thing' tonight that's going to cause you to go limp and cry and hit the wall?" tasks that we as parents have to tip-toe around each day. It's amazing what battles will begin over something so routine and "simple." So, I totally get it when you say that the ointment was just "one more thing" you had to deal with. I admire your stamina for twice-a-day ointment for over a month! Both you & Anya deserve a big treat.

February 6, 2012 at 7:04 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Here here! I'm glad you had yet another great thing to celebrate on this long road to good health.

February 6, 2012 at 8:34 AM  
Blogger Molly said...

What did you have for dinner? Are sushi and Chipotle Pork burritos still a favorite? (P.S. Cute dress- I bet I know where that came from.)
XXOO Mosh

February 6, 2012 at 1:15 PM  
Blogger Taylors said...

She is so adorable. We miss you guys.

February 9, 2012 at 7:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home