Capable
Photo courtesy of Anchor Center for Blind Children
Lately I have frequently found myself astounded at all that Anya can do. The milestones that a five-year-old reaches are rather individual, not the same as babies learning to crawl, walk, and talk. Personal preference, and perhaps parental preference, sets in and kids do different things than their peers. Just over a year ago, I was amazed by Anya learning to ride a two-wheeler bike. Now, she does it so often and so skillfully that I hardly remark on it anymore.
The past weeks have found Anya on the ski slopes - skiing all by herself, at the skating rink - skating all by herself, and on the climbing wall - climbing all by herself and higher than ever. It is humbling to watch your child achieve more than you yourself have achieved. That is how I felt last Saturday watching her on the climbing wall. She moved with a self assurance and a pace that I know I haven't possessed with that sport. I credit her school, Anchor Center for Blind Children, for having a climbing wall and dedicated volunteers that run it. It is thanks to them that Anya feels comfortable moving around in a harness and reaching high. I suppose it is also partly due to not be allowed to swim. If life were normal, we would be swimming at the rec center, but ever since the possible infection showed up in Anya's socket back in December, she has been banned from swimming. In looking for alternative outlets for her energy, we found the climbing wall at the very same rec center.
Violin, dance, ice skating, skiing, climbing, swimming,...
Anya is so very capable. If she can do all this at five, just think what she will accomplish by 15 or 25 or 35. Watch out world.


2 Comments:
Go Anya!!!!!
Amazing...but not so much surprising I think. :) Anya truly is one remarkable little person!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home