Thursday, October 27, 2011

Surgeon says



Anya is healing well from surgery.

I wish that was all there was to say, but there were two surprising bits of information during our visit.  One is that the doctor believes that the conformer is no longer in Anya's eye.  The conformer is the piece of plastic that currently resides (or so we thought) where the prosthesis will go.  It doesn't matter that it isn't there, she will heal well, possibly even better without it.  Still, I cannot see how it couldn't be there.  She has not opened her eye.  Yesterday, at the appointment, they made her open her eye, which she did well with when she was able to do it herself.  It took one hand below the eye and another hand on her eyelid to pry it open, and even then it was only a crack open.  It isn't worth dwelling on because it will not make a difference in her healing process, but to quote Reese, "I don't get it."  I don't see how it could have slipped out of an eye that hasn't opened.

She should be opening her eye soon.  If she doesn't, it will be a concern.  Dr. D stated that the chances that any nerve damage occurred during surgery is highly unlikely.  Yet it must still be a possibility.  If she is unable to lift her eyelid, there is a "simple surgery" to correct it.  Simple or not, I was not prepared to hear about more surgery. 

4 Comments:

Blogger Molly Tyson said...

Thanks for the update- hang in there. Tons and tons of love. M.

October 27, 2011 at 9:15 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

I love the zip line in action! What an amazing sweet heart.

May her eye open soon and this time the doctors will be surprised at what they possibly find inside. I imagine only beautiful healing and a conformer.

Warm wishes,
Tracy Heiman

October 27, 2011 at 9:15 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Those pesky comformers...they're just so...non-conforming. Glad to hear the check-up went well even with the unexpected news.

October 27, 2011 at 10:44 PM  
Blogger Grandma Katie said...

Yeah for rope world. Anya, you are getting soooo good on the zip line!

October 28, 2011 at 9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home