Eyes closed
Here is a glimpse of Anya's new style. For the next week at least she will be sporting the mismatched eye patches. The one on her right eye is packed with gauze to better protect the eye. The patch, or shield, on the left is transparent so that when she chooses to open her eyes she can see. The funny pose is merely waiting for her red and purple fingernail polish to dry.
The morning after surgery, Anya woke up and ate little before heading back to Denver to see our ophthalmologist. She was still very sleepy and not really talking nor opening her eyes. At the doctor's office, he felt her eyes to check for pressure, which was fine. Anya responded to a bright light being shone on her eyelids and she could squeeze her eyes tighter shut. She never did open her eyes, and the doctor opted not to push the issue. He said he could see enough to feel comfortable that she was recovering. We will go back on Tuesday morning and hope that she will feel like letting him take a look then.
Once home, Anya was still very sleepy and displeased about having to take so much medicine (tylenol four times a day, ibuprofen three times a day, ointment rubbed on her eyes four times a day, and one more ointment just before bedtime.) She asked for ice cream for lunch, which is perfectly reasonable to me, so we all went out for ice cream. I think Reese is hoping Anya decides on that lunch more often. By evening time, she was talking more and even wanted to go for a long ride in the stroller.
This morning, I woke up to the sounds of Will and Anya having breakfast. It was a welcome sound and before even entering the kitchen I could tell that our Anya was back. I am still surprised by this as I thought it would take much longer for her to feel well enough to joke around again. Then again, she has constantly surprised me with how quickly she bounces back. Our doctor told her what a strong person she is as not many people have to go through double retinal detachment surgeries. She still wouldn't open her eyes this morning, she can't really open her right eye, but can her left, but she has been too afraid. That is understandable. Her energy level today was higher, although still not back to normal. She continues to want to be held, as she is still afraid and can't see.
This evening, she was opening her eye regularly. She can't see well as her vision is blurred and on top of it she has a big plastic thing in the way, but she could see well enough to pick out the broccoli on her plate and not need to be fed everything. Being 48 hours out of surgery, we won't have to give her medicine as frequently, just as needed. The ointments will continue for a long time I believe, but she is tolerating that well.
There is more to explain, but that is enough for tonight. If anyone has ideas of activities to do with a kid that can't see, I would welcome them.



1 Comments:
Thanks for that huge update Liz. I'm SO happy to hear that she's coming back around and I love that she's getting her nails done too! I bet there are some fun things you could do with beans in a bucket (dry beans) or shaving cream on a table/tray that would be fun with or without eyesight. Could you hide small things in a bucket of beans (or rice) and let her feel and feel to find them? For shaving cream, maybe it would be fun just to smear it around and draw shapes with or without eyes. I bet she could move her hands through the shaving cream to show different feelings (how would hands move if they were happy, sad, angry, etc.) which could be fun for her too. ??? Good luck with the next few weeks of semi-sightless Anya. We love you!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home