Thankful
I always love the approach of Thanksgiving and the pause that we allow ourselves, as an entire country, to reflect on what we are thankful for. I believe we all, at times, have fallen victim to taking things for granted, and this time of year, hopefully, helps us step back and remember the things that are important. For me, having a child diagnosed with cancer has given me a reason to not take her, or her sister, for granted. Children are precious, my children are precious and I feel lucky to spend so much time with them.
This past year, I have been asked to reach out to three different moms, each who had a child recently diagnosed with Retinoblastoma. I have also been asked numerous times how to help families who are dealing with a life-threatening diagnosis. I never pictured myself as this sort of cancer-consultant, yet it seems only natural. We have moved beyond the initial trauma of the diagnosis and weeks after. I am now able to look at these situations with a larger scope and see that the families in one way or another will be okay, but things are going to be hard for awhile. We are okay. Anya is okay. We have been able to move on, and these families will too.
A friend's four-year-old daughter was recently diagnosed with a brain tumor. Having it hit so close to home has brought back a mountain of emotions for both Will and I. We remember all too well those first days of navigating the hospital, the forced smiles while waiting in the oncology unit, the unknowns that taunt you and keep you from sleep. Then come the weighty decisions and wishing that there was a clear answer, but there often isn't. You have to trust the doctors, who are human and therefore have their faults as well. This one isn't good at communicating, but is he a better surgeon? Is there only one right answer? How do we make the best decision? There are no re-takes when your daughter's life, or sight, or other important bodily function are on the line.
While I now feel more safe in saying that we are on the other side - that Anya is a survivor, the journey has not come to an end for her. While we are not dealing on the life-threatenting level, more medical business awaits Anya soon after the new year. She will have her normal ophthalmology and oncology check-ups, another MRI, and there is also a surgery scheduled. Not too long ago we thought she was done with surgeries, but life keeps throwing curveballs. Luckily, we've become better batters. We will do it because it is what is best for her, because she is so very precious to us.



1 Comments:
Hugs mama- thanks for sharing your wisdom with me :)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home