We did it!
Yesterday saw the completion of the Courage Classic: three beautiful days, 120+ miles, two happy biking kids, and an endless amount of inspirational stories. While in Copper Mountain one day after the race, a man saw Reese's shirt,
and commented, "Oh that's a good story!" He had heard many stories of people riding in honor of someone who had passed. We feel so fortunate to be able to call Anya a survivor.
The financial support that you all gave me was overwhelming. It helped to see and feel, once again, that we are not alone. Anya's journey with Retinoblastoma has slowed, her appointments come less frequently, and she has now gone a full year since her last surgery. The emotional baggage remains. It hits each of us at different times and in different ways. For that, it helps to know that you all are behind us still.
Beyond our family, your support helps many kids at Children's Colorado. My parents and I chose to ride with a team who is able to designate that the money they have earned goes directly to The Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders. Last year, they raised enough money to be able to hire a new doctor: a psychologist who works specifically with cancer patients and their siblings. This year the money being raised is going to fund a new bone marrow unit. So you see, your dollars really do count. I am humbled by your generosity.
Tomorrow, we will walk back through those doors at Children's Hospital Colorado. It is Anya's time to be a patient again as she has her biannual oncology check-up. First, Anya, Will, and I will meet with the newly hired genetics specialist, who will likely give us a lot of information. Second is Anya's MRI, for which she will have to go under anesthesia. Lastly, we will see the new oncologist as our beloved Dr. A retired in December. It will be a long day, I'll be spending more hours sitting in the hospital tomorrow than I did riding my bike 58 miles last Saturday. Can you guess which one is more fun?
and commented, "Oh that's a good story!" He had heard many stories of people riding in honor of someone who had passed. We feel so fortunate to be able to call Anya a survivor.
The financial support that you all gave me was overwhelming. It helped to see and feel, once again, that we are not alone. Anya's journey with Retinoblastoma has slowed, her appointments come less frequently, and she has now gone a full year since her last surgery. The emotional baggage remains. It hits each of us at different times and in different ways. For that, it helps to know that you all are behind us still.
Beyond our family, your support helps many kids at Children's Colorado. My parents and I chose to ride with a team who is able to designate that the money they have earned goes directly to The Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders. Last year, they raised enough money to be able to hire a new doctor: a psychologist who works specifically with cancer patients and their siblings. This year the money being raised is going to fund a new bone marrow unit. So you see, your dollars really do count. I am humbled by your generosity.
Tomorrow, we will walk back through those doors at Children's Hospital Colorado. It is Anya's time to be a patient again as she has her biannual oncology check-up. First, Anya, Will, and I will meet with the newly hired genetics specialist, who will likely give us a lot of information. Second is Anya's MRI, for which she will have to go under anesthesia. Lastly, we will see the new oncologist as our beloved Dr. A retired in December. It will be a long day, I'll be spending more hours sitting in the hospital tomorrow than I did riding my bike 58 miles last Saturday. Can you guess which one is more fun?




3 Comments:
Will be thinking about you! So glad the ride went well. Classically forgot to donate- is it too late or can I give retro-actively. The email is sitting in my box to remind me to do it. So fun to see Will in Denver and I LOVE R's t-shirt too. XXOO Love always Mosh
Not too late to donate!
http://www.couragetours.com/siteapps/personalpage/ShowPage.aspx?c=7oJILQPqFhJYG&b=8393313&sid=mvK0K9PSIhIYIeMSJsF
You can donate up until Anya's birthday - Aug. 31.
Yeah!! I was so impressed with your ride. Well done Liz!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home