Monday, February 4, 2013

seeing and skiing


We have a skiier on our hands!  That is Anya in the blue and a friend in the green.  They both skied three days in a row last weekend and by the end were confident, in control, and completely unaided.  Anya even skied a few "blue squares."

The weather was pretty good for us, but the sun never shone.  Have you ever been skiing when the light is flat and it is hard to gauge the slopes?  I imagine it happens in other activities, but the glare of the white snow always seems most challenging to me.  These are the kind of light situations that supposedly are most difficult for those who see with one eye.  It was a constant thought in the back of my mind as we were skiing, as I wondered just how it was for Anya.

Finally, I asked her and she told me, "I see just fine, mom.  Like always."  It is true, her actions did not do anything to show me that she was having a hard time.  She skied wonderfully, and joyfully.  Anya was relatively young when she became monocular.  She doesn't remember seeing any other way.  We have had conversations in the past when she has told me, "I feel like I see with two eyes."  She looks that way too, people who have met her in the past year are consistently surprised when they find out that she sees out of one eye only.

1 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

Yeah!! I love seeing such joyful skiing from this newest Wieder skier!

February 13, 2013 at 6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home