Wednesday, May 30, 2012

"I don't want to"

Have you ever had a conversation with your kid that goes something like this:
"I don't want to do it."
"I know, but you have to."
"But I don't want tooooooooo."

Anya and I had one of those the other day.  Then it went on like this:
"Do you know why it is so important?  They are taking pictures of -"
"I know, I know: brain and orbits."
"That's right.  Brain and orbits.  Do you know why they are taking pictures of your brain and orbits?"
Silence
"They are looking for tumors.  Do you remember what tumors are?"
"Cancer."
"Right, they want to make sure there is no cancer in your brain or orbits.  That is why it is pretty important.  You don't have to want to do it, but you have to do it."
"- - - - okay."

Once again, as she gets older, Anya is more resistant to the procedures she has to endure.  Tomorrow will be her fifth MRI.  In the past, she has been happy to go for MRIs because, in her words, "I can open my eyes when I wake up."  This is the converse of when she would wake up from her EUAs (exam under anesthesia), during which her eyes would be examined and often treated with laser.  The last time she was under anesthesia was for her previous MRI, which means that it has been a full six months since she had to go under.  We relish those long breaks and, although she may not realize it, Anya does too.

1 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

I'm thankful for the long breaks between procedures...and that you guys do such a good job rallying her for them whey they do come around.

June 4, 2012 at 10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home