Do all 3 year olds do this?




Anya actually asked me that when we were heading to the hospital one day. "No, not all 3 years old do this...you are special? unique?" She is special and unique, but in this aspect I wish she wasn't. I wish she wasn't one of the three kids that will be diagnosed with Retinoblastoma in Colorado this year.
I realize that there are a lot of people reading this blog and that many of you may not know Anya. First off, let me say that you should. She has an infectious happy spirit and your life would be better if you knew her.
How do I describe this little ball of energy that has become my entire world in the past 3 years and 8 and 1/2 months? She is silly and proud of it. That last picture is a very common expression we see from her. She is incredibly interested in people and remembers all kinds of details about people. She learned all her letters before she was 2 by relating them to important people in her life. (We are still looking for a Q person in our lives).
She is most definitely a girly-girl, which astounds me. She loves nail polish and lip balm and glitter and would like to wear her red sparkle shoes everywhere. On the topic of shoes, she has more than I do and wears them all. Fortunately for the upcoming months, she adores hats as well. Her favorite colors are red and purple, and she is not shy to tell you that.
She will melt your heart when you hear her talk about her argyle socks or brand new stethoscope, and seconds later your heart will be in your stomach as she explains to you that she is getting chemotherapy. She is extremely verbal and loves big words. She learns a lot of them from Fancy Nancy, which are some of her favorite books.
Giraffes are her favorite animal. We have a family of 5 Raffes (as she calls them) and it is quickly expanding much to Anya's delight. Whenever we visit the zoo, she heads right to the giraffes and knows most of their names. There happens to be a giraffe at the Denver zoo that was born on the exact same day as Anya, so they have a special bond.
She has so much to teach me about life and how to live it fully. The doctors all talk about kids' resilience and it is true with Anya. She has been the one to get Will and I through these last two weeks, and her feistiness will serve her well in the months to come.

6 Comments:
Oh sweet Anya. I cant wait to see you and your parents again. You sound like a really cool lady. -love, Kater, Matt and Dylan
I'm so glad I get to know you, Anya! You mom is right, you are a smart and spunky girl. I know you will have some tough days in the next few months, but I bet you'll find something funny to cheer you right up! Sending you love from Arizona!
K
That's easy! YOU are the Queen, Liz!
I want to have something wonderful to say, but what is left after Miss Anya?? You are all wonderful and in my prayers constantly. Your photos are on our phones, computers, frige and in my purse. We love you!
Just starting to read your blog over here in Finland. I don't have the privilege of knowing your daughter, but thank you for describing her, she sounds so precious. Lots of love to your family, Anna.
Oh sweet Anya! I haven't met you yet, but someday i most definitely will. You seem like the coolest girl. I'm going to send you something by airmail, so don't forget to check your mailbox during the summer... Lots of Love from Louise in Sweden!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home